MINUSMA – Mandate
Information on the MINUSMA Mandate can be found at https://minusma.unmissions.org/en/mandate-0.
The current mandate (UN Security Council Resolution 2480 (2019)) designates the following points as their priority tasks.
- Support to the implementation of the Agreement on Peace and Reconciliation in Mali; to support the the political and institutional reforms, notably to support the Government’s efforts for the effective restoration and extension of State authority and rule of law in northern Mali; to support, monitor and supervise the ceasefire; to support DDR; to support the establishment of a plan for the redeployment of Malian Defence Security Force (MDSF) in the North of Mali; to support the implementation of the reconciliation and justice measures; to support elections
- Support to stabilization and restoration of State authority in the Centre; to support Malian authorities in reducing violence and intercommunal tensions; to support the redeployment of the MDSF in the Centre of Mali; to support Malian authorities in ensuring that those responsible for violations against human rights and IHL.
- Protection of civilians; to protect civilians under threat of physical violence; to take active steps to anticipate, deter and effectively respond to threats to the civilian population, notably in the North and Center of Mali; to provide specific protection for women and children affected by armed conflict
- Good offices and reconciliation; to exercise good offices, confidence-building and facilitation at the national and local levels; to support efforts to reduce intercommunal tensions; to support the holding of elections; to encourage and support the full implementation of the Agreement by signatory and relevant non-signatory actors
- Promotion and protection of human rights; to assist the Malian authorities to promote and protect human rights, justice and reconciliation, bringing justice against serious violation of human rights, war crimes and crimes against humanity; to monitor, document, and help investigate on violations.
- Humanitarian assistance; to contribute to the creation of a secure environment for the safe civilian-led delivery of humanitarian assistance
- Other Tasks – Quick impact projects and Cooperation with Sanctions Committees
Previous Mandates and key relevant documents can be found at the official MINUSMA website and Security Council Report.
These products are the results of academic research and intended for general information and awareness only. They include the best information publicly available at the time of publication. Routine efforts are made to update the materials; however, readers are encouraged to check the specific mission sites at https://minusma.unmissions.org/en or https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/mission/minusma.
Executive Summary / Current Political and Security Dynamics / Recent Situation Updates
Country Profile of Mali
Government/Politics / Geography / Military / Economy / Social / Information / Infrastructure
United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA)
Senior Leaders of Mission / Mandate / Strength / Deployment of Forces / Casualties / Mission’s Military and Police Activities / Security Council Reporting and mandate cycles / Background of Conflict / Actors of Conflict / Timeline