AMISOM is led by a civilian Special Representative of the African Union who oversees the military and police divisions:
- Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (SRCC): Ambassador Francisco Caetano Jose Madeira (Mozambique)
- Deputy Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (DSRCC): Simon Mulongo (Uganda)
- Force Commander: Lt. Gen. Tigabu Yilma Wondimhunegn (Ethiopia) as of February 2019
- Police Commissioner: Daniel Gwambal, Acting since the death of Commissioner Christine Alalo, who died in a plane crash in March 2019
The United Nations Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) is mandated with establishing the Federal Government of Somalia. UNSOM leadership includes:
- Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General (SRSG), James Swan (United States) took over from Nicholas Haysom (South Africa) as of May 2019
- Deputy Special Representatives: Raisedon Zenenga (Zimbabwe) and
- George Conway (Canada) UN Resident Coordinator/Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia
The UN Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) is responsible for providing strategic logistics support to AMISOM, UNSOM, the Somali National Army (SNA) and the Somali Police Force (SPF) on joint operations with AMISOM. The Head of UNSOS is Assistant Secretary General (ASG) Lisa Filipetto, Head (Australia).
These products are the results of academic research and intended for general information and awareness only. They include the best information publicly available at the time of publication. Routine efforts are made to update the materials; however, readers are encouraged to check the specific mission site at https://amisom-au.org.
Central African Republic Country Profile
African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM)