Last update on: 19 November 2020
Information on the MINUSCA Mandate can be found at https://minusca.unmissions.org/en/mandate.
The Security Council decided to renew the mandate (S/RES/2552 (2020)) of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) until 15 November 2021. It also decided to continue to comprise up to 11,650 military personnel, including 480 Military Observers and Military Staff Officers, and 2,080 police personnel, including 400 Individual Police Officers and 1,680 formed police unit personnel, as well as 108 corrections officers tasking them with the strategic objective of creating the political, security, and institutional conditions conducive to sustainably reducing the presence of — and the threat posed by — armed groups.
The mandate lays out the following priority tasks for the mission:
- Protection of civilians.
- Good offices and support to the peace process, including national reconciliation, social cohesion and transitional justice.
- 2020/2021 elections.
- Facilitate the creation of a secure environment for the immediate, full, safe and unhindered delivery of humanitarian assistance
- Protection of the United Nations.
- Support for the extension of State authority, the deployment of security forces, and the preservation of territorial integrity.
- Security Sector Reform.
- Disarmament, Demobilization, Reintegration (DDR) and Repatriation (DDRR).
- Promotion and protection of human rights.
- Support for national and international justice, the fight against impunity, and the rule of law.
These products are the results of academic research and intended for general information and awareness only. They include the best information publicly available at the time of publication. Routine efforts are made to update the materials; however, readers are encouraged to check the specific mission sites at https://minusca.unmissions.org/en or https://peacekeeping.un.org/en/mission/minusca.
Central African Republic Country Profile
United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA)